So, you’ve been invited to a function and the dress code is ‘cocktail’, but you’re not sure what that really means. Let’s look at what that means in today’s terms.
Cocktail dresses for women
In a nutshell, a cocktail dress is a semi-formal, elegant dress suitable for late afternoon/evening. Traditionally, a cocktail dress has been described as a short dress (ie knee length), however with the maxi-dress trend, this doesn’t necessarily apply. So really, a cocktail dress is more about how dressy the dress is, rather than the length. Although, we’re not talking ball gown here. And save the super-short dresses for clubbing.
A cocktail dress:
- is elegant
- may be any length from just above the knee to the ankle
- can be any colour (not necessarily black)
- is suitable for late afternoon/evening
- is generally worn with high heels
- can be made from any type of fabric (lace and sequins are entirely appropriate, but not absolutely necessary)
- may be strapless, off the shoulder, have one shoulder strap, or have sleeves
- may actually be a skirt or pants and dressy top.
A cocktail dress is not:
- a full length ball gown
- a clubbing dress
- a beach dress
- an office/work dress.
Some cocktail dress examples:
Find cocktail dresses online
Check out the latest cocktail dresses in our store where we pull together all the best dresses from various online retailers – updated daily!
- Cocktail Dresses by Price
- Cocktail Dresses by Colour
- Cocktail Dresses by Store Location
- Cocktail Dresses at Amazon
- Party and Evening Shoes